CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Crafty!

I've been feeling rather crafty lately. I go through phases like these, where all I want to do is be creative and make things with my own two hands. Here is my latest project:

In case you don't know, Josh and I both love Americana-style things.  Framed pieces of art, rustic signs, anything red, white, and blue.  We have decided to go with this theme in our living room of our new house!  While at the craft store recently, I stumbled upon some wooden letters and decided to make a little Americana piece of my own!

The materials:

Acrylic Paint in Red, White, and Blue
Crackle Medium
Varnish
Paintbrushes
Wooden Letters
Sanding Block

To start, I sanded some of the rough spots on each of the wooden letters.  Then, I painted each letter a different color.  This color was the base coat; the "U" started out white, the "S" started out blue, and the "A" started out red.  (I apologize for the out-of-focus bottom of this photo!)


Then, after the paint had dried, I applied a coat of crackle medium, which went on clear and was very sticky!  I let that dry until it was still just barely tacky, and then applied a contrasting color of paint over top.  It went from looking like this....


.... to this in a matter of minutes!


Here are all three completed letters! 



I still haven't figured out exactly what I am going to do with these yet, but I will be sure to post photos once I do decide!

2 comments:

trooppetrie said...

send them to army wife, lol
they are adorable. i like to take the same letters and spell names. then i cover it with scrapbook paper and modge podge. i love them

McMahan family said...

So cute, Maranda! I'd never heard of crackle medium -- that is so fun! I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for sharing! xoxo