CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 24, 2012

Cloth Diapering: Our Stash

Before Lane was even born, I decided I wanted to give cloth diapering a try.  I did tons of research- should we choose hybrids?  Pockets?  AIOs?  Prefolds with covers?

I ultimately decided to try hybrids (the option to use disposable or cloth inserts in a cover) for their versatility.  I ordered a starter back of gDiapers, and waited anxiously to try them on my baby.

I ended up loving the whole gDiapers system, but Josh wasn't a fan.  I loved how trim they were, the cute, bright colors, and the soft feel of the covers.  Josh had a hard time getting the fit right, which is a necessity to prevent leaks.  Lane soon outgrew the small size, and we decided to not order the medium size.

I love cloth diapers for a multitude of reasons- they're SO much cuter than disposables, we don't have as much trash each week, we aren't contributing to the growing landfills, and Lane's little bottom is always so much drier when I change a wet diaper than with disposables.  He also gets diaper rash less often, and I love being able to alter the "stuffing" to meet our needs.

I recently discovered pocket diapers and prefolds/covers, and that is what our diaper stash consists of now.  Here's a brief overview of the diaper types we use:

Sunbaby Pocket Diapers:


I have 13 of these diapers, and so far am really liking them!  The company was started by a mom, and the brand is slowly becoming more popular in the cloth-diapering world.

The outer layer is a waterproof material, and the inside is a soft fleece.  There are snaps to adjust the rise and waist size, and this diaper is meant to be "one size"- meaning they fit from birth through potty training (Approximately, of course.  Every baby is different sized and might be too big/small to fit the diaper at the point of potty training/birth.).  Between the outer layer and inner layer is a "pocket", where inserts are stuffed.
The inserts that are included are microfiber, and so far seem to be very absorbent.  I also have some bamboo inserts that I really like.

bumGenius 4.0 Pocket Diapers:


I was given 2 bumGenius (BG) diapers by a friend, and they have become two of my favorite diapers to use.  BG diapers are some of the most popular diapers out there, due to their quality and ease of use.  Basically identical in form and function to the Sunbaby diapers, its very easy for us to switch back and forth between the two brands.  I will say that the BG's seem to be of higher quality, but time will tell how the two brands hold up.  I have since bought 3 more bumGenius diapers, but these ones have velcro instead of snaps, which makes them more closely resemble disposable diapers.  Josh really likes the velco, as its much easy to get on a squirming baby!


The diapers come with two inserts- one newborn sized insert, and one larger.  You can use both at the same time for added overnight protection, or if you have a heavy wetting.  There are snaps on the larger insert, so it can be matched to the rise setting using the snaps on the diaper cover itself.  (See the arrows.)


Econobum Prefolds with Cover:


These diapers are a much more economical option for those wanting to try out cloth diapering, or if you don't care about the color/pattern of your child's diaper.  (Side note:  one of the fun parts of cloth diapering is all of the cute colors and patterns available.  None of my Sunbaby diapers of bumGenius diapers are alike- I have lots of colors and patterns!)  The Econobums are made by the same company that manufacters the bumGenius diapers; its just their "economy line".
With the Econobum diapers, there isn't a pocket to stuff.  There is just an outer waterproof layer with snaps, and the insert sits directly between the cover and your baby's skin.  The insert is a prefold diaper, folded into thirds.



I've found that the inserts getting softer and more "fluffy" the more I wash them!

Because diaper creams can cause repelling of cloth diapers, Desitin, ButtPaste, etc. are a big no-no.  I found CJ's BUTTer, which is an all-natural cream that works great to prevent/treat diaper rash.  We haven't had any issues with repelling, and I love all of the scents available (Lullaby Baby Lotion is my favorite!).  The cream comes in a tub, squeeze tube, stick (think chapstick), and even a spray.  We have a large tub on the changing table, a spray in one diaper bag, and a squeeze tube in the other diaper bag.  The spray is great because you don't have to get your hands messy, and if your baby has a bad diaper rash, you don't have to hurt them by touching it.



Here are the three diaper types we use lined up side by side:


And here's part of our stash!  I keep this basket on the changing table, filled with diapers already stuffed and ready to go.  We have 13 Sunbaby's, 5 bumGenius diapers, and 4 Econobums.  (I also just ordered 3 Charlie Banana pocket diapers, but they haven't arrived yet, so I can't review them.)


Next I'll be posting our cloth diaper laundry routine!

0 comments: